Story Leader (Communications & Events)
Do you want to be part of an organization where you see the direct and meaningful impacts of your efforts everyday? Do you want your work to make a difference in changing peoples lives? Do you believe that education and safe secure housing are keys to the creation of positive futures? If so, Highbanks may be your next employer!
Role of the Story Leader
Communicating the compelling Highbanks Story is a critical component in our collective impact approach to community wide change. The Story Leader champions, develops, oversees, and coordinates all communication in the implementation of the organization’s strategic priorities. Continually aligning all communication and engagement activity with Highbank’s Communication Plan, the Story Leader updates the plan in light of new and emerging realities. Through marketing, communication and event planning activities, the Story Leader acts as an ambassador for the organization and works to enhance Highbank’s reputation, brand awareness, funding base, and visibility in the community.
This is a part-time (32 hours per week) position reporting to the Executive Director.
- Strategic Communication Plan Development & Implementation
- Review and continually update Highbank’s strategic communication and engagement plan to ensure alignment with strategic objectives and priorities.
- Implement the communication plan and provide advice on changes or improvements necessary to meet organizational goals.
- Assist in the development of evaluation metrics for the communication and engagement efforts, campaigns, and activities.
- Broaden and diversify donor base by grant writing, giving programs, and events.
- Manage communications budget and resources and produce timely reports for all stakeholders.
- Monitor and update all social media, website, and communications postings across various platforms to ensure consistency in key messaging, alignment with brand, and support for strategic objectives.
- Act as the “point person” and coordinate all responses to media contacts.
- Develop various communication tools and editorial calendar to support strategic objectives and the communications plan.
- Lead the production of all print materials such as promotional materials or annual community reports.
- Lead production of all blogs, newsletters, annual report, and other mass media campaigns.
- Assist with production of policy positions or statements in response to government initiatives.
- Assist other Highbanks staff or board with their communication and engagement needs.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
- Event Planning & Coordination
- Plan and execute all organization wide events including the Annual General Meeting, Volunteer Appreciation, Mother’s Day event, Graduation, Alumni Events, Fundraisers, and others as required under the Engagement Plan.
- Develop creative approaches to execute various community engagement events with limited financial resources.
- Explore creative funding opportunities or partnerships focused on increasing visibility and profile of the organization.
Qualifications & Experience
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and core competencies:
- Degree in Communications, Marketing, or Management or other relevant education experience.
- 2-5 years of communication and community engagement experience. Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- Experience in communications, project and financial management, and outcomes measurement.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders from across all sectors (government, partners, business, client base, community, and nonprofit).
- Strong marketing acumen.
- Proficiency in Word Press and Canva
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and Adobe Premier (or similar video editing tools) will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire a team.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and get things done on time.
- Demonstrated capacity in working with ambiguity.
- A strong commitment to young people and empowerment of single mothers
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Ability to connect meaningfully with young women and children
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Close Date: August 17, 2018